27.1.14

a run a day keeps the blues away

I actually wanted to run today; I looked forward to it; I was itching to pound the pavement. The lazy in me almost talked myself out of it, but I knew how good I would feel after the fact; not succumbing to the oh so familiar "I'll run tomorrow." Because we all know how that goes. Tomorrow turns into tomorrow's tomorrow, and the tomorrow after that. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed running; I mean, can't wait, have to run, my day isn't complete until I've logged a good five miles (at least). Of course that was a long time ago. When I initially started running, after losing my first "real" job nearly eight years ago, I couldn't stop. It was an addiction, really, to see how far I could run or how fast. Within a year, I ran a marathon. Now I'm happy to leave the house with my running shoes on. When people say they have a "relationship" with running, I totally get it. Even now, when I do muster up the energy to go for a run longer than from the front door to the mailbox, I go "there." I forget about all the day's stresses, and even if I do think about them, a switch goes off and instead of lamenting I begin to problem solve. I get motivated. I seek change. Running has no doubt made me a better person. It has worked wonders on my emotional health. Oh, and the physical benefits are pretty nice, too. So yes, running is indeed a relationship - if you hope to sustain it, at least. When you love it, you make time for it no matter how busy you are or what the day dealt you. For me, running has not only been a reprieve from the hum-drum of my day-to-day routine, it has been an incentive to be the best me. Even if I never run another marathon, I hope running never loses its meaning for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment