21.11.13

a pinch of fall



It is finally starting to feel like fall here in Okinawa. How lovely it is! Having lived in the midwest for some time - and experiencing fall at its finest (something that I missed growing up in Phoenix, Arizona) - I have grown to love and miss the autumn time and all of the beauty that comes along with it. So I will take the crisp, dewy mornings and few fallen leaves here on the island.

With a hint of fall in the air and the holidays too quickly approaching, I deemed it only appropriate to bust out the ever-pleasing cinnamon and sugar. (My holiday playlist may have made an appearance as well.) Of course I needed a little inspiration, too, so of course I turned to my oh-so-reliable virtual addiction, Pinterest, which brought me to these tasty dairy-free pumpkin treats perfect for fall which are somewhere between a cake and a cookie.

As usual, I didn't have all the ingredients the recipe called for, but I usually never fear in a case like this. Being that I love to spend hours on end creating in the kitchen, I usually welcome these opportunities. It came with the added bonus of learning something new: how to make my own cake flour.  Typically you would use cornstarch to make the cake flour, however, tapioca flour is another alternative with a similar texture (it's also a bit sweeter, which I am all for). Since I wasn't short on tapioca flour and have been looking for recipes which call for it, I used it in place of the cornstarch (2 T of tapioca flour for every 1 T of cornstarch). On top of that, instead of using pecans (which I also didn't have on hand), I added home-made honey roasted walnuts, which also turned out to be a lovely addition to the spinach salad I ate later in the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment